Most smokers dream of getting rid of a harmful, costly and not very pleasant-smelling habit. But not everyone can do it, relying only on the strength of their own character. There are many techniques that help you get rid of addiction. Which of them to choose? It’s very important to come to the decision to quit smoking yourself, not to take it at the request of friends or relatives. If there is no deep personal conviction, most likely, your efforts will suffice for a while, but after a few months there will definitely be circumstances when you smoke again. By the way, most of those who returned to this bad habit did so after taking alcohol.
If you yourself have made the decision to quit smoking and you are overwhelmed with determination to say goodbye to cigarettes forever, the probability of success is almost 100%. There are many tricks that supposedly help you get rid of nicotine addiction. For example, hide all ashtrays and lighters, or, conversely, carry a pack of cigarettes with you always. In fact, willpower, if it is there, does not need any support, or any psychological tricks. The main thing is to make a decision. The hardest thing to do without a cigarette the first 2-3 weeks. Then the longing for tobacco recedes. But during the next 6 months, relapses are still possible, so be vigilant.
Those who set up to change their lives and do without tobacco in the future, you can give only two pieces of advice. First, you must quit smoking immediately. Give up cigarettes completely. If you do not feel in yourself the strength to do this, it is better to postpone the beginning of a new life for a few days. Second, nicotine-containing chewing gum or drugs to stop smoking can make it easier for you to start a tobacco-free life. However, it is not a cheap pleasure, and you have to chew it for quite a long time. You may think that quitting smoking is almost impossible. Nevertheless, millions of people successfully kick the habit every year. Millions of ordinary people with ordinary personalities. You don’t have to be superman to quit smoking. The most important thing is to want to do it. If you have a sincere, strong desire, you can probably do it too.
Before choosing a way to quit smoking, experts recommend figuring out how seriously a person is “in trouble”. If the addiction is mild, purely psychological – the approach in helping will be one. If the degree of addiction is severe – the doctor may advise a temporary use of nicotine-containing drugs.
What do people who have quit smoking have to deal with?
- Aggressive outbursts, irritation. This phenomenon is temporary – for 2-3 months. Help cope with physical activity (preferably those that you like) and light sedatives.
- Weight gain. During smoking the sucking reflex is formed. After quitting smoking, a person unconsciously occupies his mouth: chews seeds, sucks lollipops, gaining calories. You can replace your cigarette with a wooden stick for a while, chew on it, suck on it. And control the caloric content of food.
- Unpleasant “sour” taste in the mouth. The taste buds are “clogged” with tobacco. After quitting smoking, they start working again, and the person feels tastes that were not there before. After a few weeks, the sensation will be restored.
- Gastrointestinal disorders. Nicotine increases peristalsis. When giving up cigarettes, constipation is not uncommon. Therefore, it is necessary to eat more fiber (eg, bran) and raw vegetables.
- Shortness of breath. One of the symptoms of nicotine addiction is a feeling of lack of oxygen. This can be corrected with bronchodilators prescribed by your doctor.
At the moment, it is easy to buy specialized drugs to quit smoking, sugar diabetes medicine and other medications. You just need to find a specialized pharmacy and use their services.